December 13, 2009

Breakfast with Santa

On Saturday morning, Jeff and I took the kids to St. Faith Episcopal Church (where Avery and Noel go to school) to have breakfast with Santa Claus. This was a very much anticipated event. Avery and Noel both remembered breakfasting with Santa last year...or at least "remembered" it through seeing photographs.

We arrived at the breakfast early (because Jeff had to go into work afterward) and even beat Santa there! As we were getting settled in at a table, we heard a bell ringing from a hallway outside the dining hall. Santa was headed our way! Avery got very excited to see the jolly old soul...but Noel? Not so much. He became very nervous and began repeating, "I don't want Santa!" over and over again. Maybe he finally realized that he was crying in many of the photos with Santa from last year...



It took A LOT of convincing on Avery's part to get Noel to go see Mr. Claus. She had to hold his hand and coach him through the long walk across the room...



When they arrived, Noel would only talk to Santa from afar. He was quizzing him on how he got there and where his reindeer were. When Santa said that he left his reindeer on the roof, Noel glanced upward and then asked, "Should you bring them in?"



Avery and Santa became fast friends...again...



...while Noel took much, MUCH longer to warm up to him. At first, he would only touch Santa with one finger...



...then they touched hands...



...but he still didn't want to sit on Santa's lap with Avery...



...so she had lots of time to chat with Santa by herself...



...until we threw Noel on his lap, too.



Doesn't Noel look thrilled?



"Hey, this is not so bad..."



"So, Santa, while I'm sitting here, I might as well tell you what I'd like for Christmas..."



"Wait, why are you wearing gloves inside?"*



"I'm not wearing gloves...see."*



While running around on the way to the car, Avery stopped to give Noel a big hug. She was very proud of her little brother for overcoming his fear....



It was a good morning for all...


*Actual quotes from Noel's conversation with Santa.

No comments:

Post a Comment