August 6, 2009

Do we have a Rod Stewart fan?

This morning, while the kids were playing in the living room, I turned on one of the Direct TV music channels. I don't really know which channels play what types of music, so I randomly chose a station and, apparently, landed on "soft rock." I didn't think Avery and Noel were really paying attention to the mellow melodic musings of Elton John, Fleetwood Mac, and Rod Stewart, BUT...

...while Noel was taking his morning nap, Avery sat down at our dining room table to practice writing her name with her new, flashing shark pen (which she got from Mote Aquarium during our recent trip to Florida...a trip which I will (hopefully!) post about soon). She wrote her name a few times then started jotting down random letters. I looked over her shoulder as she pointed out some of her work...referring to one of her scribbles as a "broken O." I went back to sorting through mail, and Avery went back to writing. Suddenly, she broke into song, belting out (to the tune of Rod Stewart's Broken Arrow)...

Who else is going to bring you...
a broken O-o?
Who else is going to bring you...
a lowercase A?
Here you go...
I can draw all my letters.
Here you go...
I'm writing my letters all down.

Apparently Avery was paying attention when that song rang from our television speakers earlier in the day. Or maybe creepy Rod Stewart weaseled his way into her subconscious. Either way, aren't her lyric-composing capabilities rather impressive? That girl never ceases to amaze me...

No comments:

Post a Comment