August 28, 2009

Shot through the heart...

Yesterday was a challenging day. Avery and Noel were tired...still recovering from our summer travels and some late nights since we've been home. I had just gotten Noel down for his afternoon nap and was ready to put Avery down as well. I told her to grab her kitties because it was time for a nap, and she instantly started in on her usual pre-nap routine...

Avery: "But I'm not sleepy!"
Me: "Okay, you don't have to sleep then. You can just read some books in your room and rest for a while."
Avery: "But I don't want to rest! I'm not tired! I don't need to rest!"
Me: "All of the whining and fighting and crying that has gone on today lets me know that you do, in fact, need to rest for a bit this afternoon. You don't have to sleep. You can just have some quiet time...okay?"
Avery: [incomprehensible whine, incognizable gripe, inscrutable whimper]
Me: "Alright, Aves. That's enough. Let's go..."


I walked her up to her bedroom, helped her change into pjs, pulled a few books down for her, layed her in bed, and covered her up. I turned her lamp on and headed for the door. As I was on my way out, Avery, in one last-ditch effort, shouted out at me...

Avery: "But why do I have to rest if I don't want to! I'M NOT SLEEPY!"
Me: "Because Momma needs a little break. Just rest for a few minutes, then you can get back up."


I shut her door and walked down the stairs. I was straightening the living room when I heard Avery crying. Sobbing. So, I went back upstairs to check on her. I peeked my head into her room and asked her what was wrong, to which she replied...

"Why do you need a break from me? I never need a break from you, because I love you. I want to be with you all of the time..."

Ouch.

So, needless to say, Avery and I spent some time together. We cuddled in her bed and read books...until Little Miss Not-Sleepy let out a BIG, looonnngggg yawn and matter-of-factly declared...

"Okay, you can leave now. I'm feeling kinda tired, and I think I'll take just a short nap."

Humph.

No comments:

Post a Comment