November 30, 2011

Our advent calendar books are wrapped and ready...

Last holiday season, I discovered (on the Internet) the idea of doing an advent calendar with Christmas/holiday/winter books.  Since my kids are such bookworms, I decided it would be a fun activity for them to do to help build the excitement during the holiday season.  So, I wrapped a book for each day leading up to Christmas (starting with December 1st), and the kids got to open the book for the corresponding date each night.  I tried to time certain books with certain dates...like "The Twelve Days of Christmas" (by Hilary Knight) was opened on December 13th; "The Shortest Day: Celebrating The Winter Solstice" (by Wendy Pfeffer) was designated for December 21st; "The Nutcracker" (by Susan Jeffers) was the book for the night before we went to see a live production of The Nutcracker; and, of course, "The Night Before Christmas" (by Jan Brett) was opened and read on Christmas Eve.  They absolutely LOVED getting to open something each day and having a new book to read at bedtime every night!

This activity was such a hit that I decided it should probably become a holiday tradition of ours!  I just wrapped up all of the books that we used last year (I switched one or two out for new ones)...assuming that they would seem "new" and exciting to the kiddos since they had been packed away for almost a year.  I spent quite a bit of time last year researching Christmas/holiday/winter books before making my purchases, so we have some really great ones!

Look at that stack!  I'm so excited to start reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment