February 2, 2012

Happy Groundhog's Day!

This morning, the kids and I watched Punxsutawney Phil emerge from his den...to see his shadow!  SIX MORE WEEKS OF WINTER!  Even though I don't particularly enjoy winters, I always want Phil to predict longer ones.  Weird, right?  I think extending the season makes me feel as if time is slowed a bit or something...

The funny thing about his year's prediction is that we really haven't had much of a wintery winter thus far.  If we get more of the same, it's pretty much spring, anyway.  Avery thinks, perhaps, the famous rodent's prediction means that we will actually get a real winter now.  My Pennsylvania girl is still holding out hope for snow in Georgia...

For some reason, my kids always get very excited about Groundhog's Day.  Because of their excitement, we always try to do a few fun things to celebrate this special (-ish) day.

This year we read...

Gregory's Shadow (by Don Freedman)


AND




Later today, we're going to make the same cute cupcakes that we made last year...




And, we'll probably round-out our holiday festivities with a little groundhog-themed drawing/coloring...

Sounds like a super exciting day, huh?


Happy Groundhog's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment