...how Avery, in an attempt to fulfill my request for her to not rapid-fire ask me for things*, says...
"Mom...two things...but we'll make it one..."
...and then proceeds to ask me for the two things anyway.
...how Noel calls the bow, from his bow and arrow set, his "bowen"...like "bowen arrow" instead of "bow AND arrow."
...how Avery, when she's trying to get Jeff's attention, says "Daddy Lane Klick"...like we say "Avery Lane Klick" in our attempts to get hers. "Daddy Lane Klick" definitely has a better ring to it than "Daddy Christian Klick"...wouldn't you agree?
...how Noel, at the age of 4 1/2, still thinks his "thumbs" are called "flumbs."
...how my kids will play in the bathtub together for HOURS at a time. They are often in there so long that they have to ask for water warm-ups and bubble refreshers.
...how Avery belts out the lyrics to her favorite song..."What Can I Say" by Brandi Carlile. The girl is good, too! Jeff and I often play the song for her in the car and adjust the speakers so that the music's loud enough for her to hear but quiet enough for us to be able to listen to her beautiful performance.
...how Noel manually holds his nose every time he opens our trashcan to throw something away.
...how Noel files away words that he hears and doesn't recognize and asks us about them later...sometimes days or weeks later. For instance, he once heard the word "hippocampus" in the movie "Meet the Robinsons" ("I've cracked the hippocampus!") and asked Jeff about its meaning four days later! Also, last weekend over dinner, he asked Jeff about the word "remuneration" (I just had to google to a loose definition of the word in order to come up with it, because that's all I could recall. He certainly didn't get his memory from me!).
...how sweet and innocent and beautiful Avery looks while she sleeps through Jeff carrying her from our bed to her bed each night**.
...how Jeff and I both whisper "I love you, Avery..." to our girl during the above-mentioned nightly transport, in the off-chance that she'll reward us with a sleepy, "I love you, too, Daddy/Momma."
...how Noel, from memory, recites the words (perfectly!) of his favorite books. He does this without even having the book's illustrations to walk him through the story...just randomly, as he's (supposed to be) brushing his teeth or riding in a grocery store's shopping cart or something.
...how Noel often tells us he's giving us "the eye"...(as he turns his head sideways and peers at us out of the corner of his).
*I'm trying to teach her to be happy in the moment...not always "needing" or wanting more...or different..or "better."
**These days, we have to put Avery and Noel in separate rooms for bedtime, because Noel has issues with calming down enough to fall asleep.
...how Noel files away words that he hears and doesn't recognize and asks us about them later...sometimes days or weeks later. For instance, he once heard the word "hippocampus" in the movie "Meet the Robinsons" ("I've cracked the hippocampus!") and asked Jeff about its meaning four days later! Also, last weekend over dinner, he asked Jeff about the word "remuneration" (I just had to google to a loose definition of the word in order to come up with it, because that's all I could recall. He certainly didn't get his memory from me!).
...how sweet and innocent and beautiful Avery looks while she sleeps through Jeff carrying her from our bed to her bed each night**.
...how Jeff and I both whisper "I love you, Avery..." to our girl during the above-mentioned nightly transport, in the off-chance that she'll reward us with a sleepy, "I love you, too, Daddy/Momma."
...how Noel, from memory, recites the words (perfectly!) of his favorite books. He does this without even having the book's illustrations to walk him through the story...just randomly, as he's (supposed to be) brushing his teeth or riding in a grocery store's shopping cart or something.
...how Noel often tells us he's giving us "the eye"...(as he turns his head sideways and peers at us out of the corner of his).
*I'm trying to teach her to be happy in the moment...not always "needing" or wanting more...or different..or "better."
**These days, we have to put Avery and Noel in separate rooms for bedtime, because Noel has issues with calming down enough to fall asleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment